Fondue can surely bring some spice to your food serving game. Whether for meat, seafood, or dipping, you can undoubtedly make having meals with a small group fun with one of these.
That said, choosing one of the fondues that will meet all of your needs might be easy. However, when it comes to using them, you will not get the most out of them if you do not know how to use a fondue pot.
But the good news is that you just landed on the perfect source to learn all about the topic. We have been using fondues for a prolonged amount of time. Throughout this period, we have mastered the using procedure. And in this article, we will guide you through correctly and most efficiently. So, stick till the end!
How Do Fondue Pots Work?
Before we describe how to use the fondue for different recipes, we would want to make sure that you know how it works. The basics are pretty simple. Each one of these pots will have a cooking pot. That will mainly be of steel or other iron. However, there are some ceramic models out there.
Nonetheless, all of them will have a source of heat. It will be a heating mechanism or coil for the electric ones, and for the others, it will be flame. You need to plug the cord into the outlet and turn the pot on in the electric machines. After that, the heating mechanism will start heating up, which will cook the food.
For others, you would need to use a specific type of fuel and make the nozzle light up. Some might offer an adjustable mechanism to let you control the flame’s intensity. Through that, it will be possible to control the amount of heat during the entire cooking process.
Different Types of Fondue Port Fuels/Burners
There are a total of five types of fondue pots available. Each one of them will have a different working mechanism. Let us walk you through each of them to give you have an in-depth idea regarding these pots.
The electric pots are probably the most popular. And as the name suggests, you would need to plug these into an outlet to make them work. There will be a heating mechanism inside, which will heat up when the electricity flows through.
Furthermore, these will come with an adjustable temperature setting, which will let you work with different recipes. And to change the temperature, you would need to turn the knob around. With that, the heating element will lower or increase its intensity accordingly.
Otherwise known as dessert fondues, these will be a bit small in size. And as you might have guessed, you will require a flame to make the cooking surface heat up. But the good news is that these will not need a high flame to operate.
That said, you would need to use a tea-light candle. After you place it under the pot, the upper surface heats up. But do note that if the fondue is comparatively large in size, it will take a reasonable amount of time to prepare the food.
3. Butane Burner
The butane burner models are the newest addition to the available fondue lineup. There will be a butane tank with the unit. You would need to use that fuel to prepare the food on top of the cooking surface. There will be a gas flow setting, which will offer you the ability to control the temperature to a certain level.
4. Alcohol Burner
These fondues are very versatile. Why? These will mostly be adjustable. And you would need to use alcohol fuel to make the flame heat up the cooking surface. As you will have the option to adjust the intensity of the heat, you can use these for both desserts and savory foods.
5. Gel Burner
Last but not least, we have the Gel fondue pots. These will be pretty much like the alcohol and butane burner. But it will require a particular type of fuel. When you fill the tank up with that fuel, all you need to do is light the nozzle up, and it will start heating the cooking surface.
How to Use a Fondue Pot For Different Recipe?
One of the good things about fondue is that they are exceptionally versatile. In other words, it will be possible to use these pots for loads of different recipes. Here is a step-by-step guide regarding each of them:
These are the steps that you would need to follow to cook raw vegetables and meat on the pot:
- Wash and cut the meat, vegetables, or seafood into bite-sized pieces and arrange the veggies and meat into separate plates so they do not cross-contaminate.
- Put the food into the fridge up until the point you are ready to initiate the cooking process.
- Before you put the ingredients into the hot pot, you must ensure that the vegetables and meat are adequately dried, or else there will be a chance of splattering
- Pour a required amount of oil into the pot and heat it up until the oil is hot enough.
- To test out the temperature of the oil, you can dip a small piece of bread into the oil. If it turns golden-brown with half a minute, the oil will be at the right temperature.
- All that is left to do now is to cook each of the items properly. You would need to hold it for 15 to 45 seconds for meat. When it comes to fish or seafood, 30 to 50 seconds would be more than enough. Lamb would require 1 minute, and vegetables will need three to five minutes.
Want to know a cheese fondue party with your beloved and dear ones? Here are the steps that you would need to follow:
- First, select the correct type of cheese. Pick the grated or shredded cheese if you want to enjoy melted cheese without waiting too much. And if you want the cheese to melt slowly, pick the others.
- You would need to rub the inner cooking surface with a clove of garlic. This will help to gain more flavor from the melted cheese.
- Ensure that the pot is heated adequately before transferring the cheese into the fondue. Get yourself a wooden spoon and keep on stirring the cheese with it.
Desssert or Chocolate Fondue
If you want to make a dessert or chocolate fondue, you would need to go through these steps:
- To make chocolate or dessert pots, pick the chocolate with 50 percent cocoa content.
- The cream and chocolate mixture needs to be heated over the double burner. Also, you would need to keep on stirring the chocolate for a good amount of time while it is on the burner. Ensure that texture is just right before moving on to the next step.
- Transfer the mixture into the fondue pot once it has the right creamy texture.
- Turn the heating system of the fondue pot on to keep the chocolate warm and in melted condition.
How to Clean Fondue Pots Properly?
If you want to make the pots last for a prolonged amount of time, you need to know how to clean them properly. Without keeping them clean adequately, it will not be possible to get a long-term use. And the steps that you would need to follow are as follows:
Step 1: Ensure That the Pot Is Cooled Down Properly
Before you start the cleaning process, you need to make sure that the pot is cooled down properly. Take it off of the base and keep it separated for a good amount of time.
Step 2: Make a Cleaning Solution
Next, you would need to make a cleaning solution using hot water and soap. You can use detergent or dishwashing liquid to make this cleaning solution. Wash the pot accordingly. If the unit is of ceramic material, it should be dishwasher-friendly. So, you can put those types of pots inside the dishwashing machine if you want to.
Step 3: Thoroughly Clean the Cooking Surface
Use a dishwashing sponge to thoroughly clean the inner surface of the pot. However, ensure that the sponge does not have any abrasive material in it. That will make scratch up the cooking surface.
Step 4: Clean the Burner
Lastly, you would need to clean the burner. For this, get yourself a clean cloth and dampen it with a little bit of water. Wipe the outer surface using that cloth. If you happen to come across any stains, you a soft sponge and the cleaning solution to get it off.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should I pick enamel cast-iron fondues?
Enamel cast-iron fondues will heat up exceptionally fast. They can even retain the heat for a prolonged amount of time. Also, some of the units will even come in attractive colors and designs. You can even make most of the dishes in it. Considering that, an enamel cast-iron fondue would be a great pick.
2. How often should I clean the fondue pot?
You would need to clean the pot on a regular basis. And we would recommend you to clean it every time you cook food on it thoroughly. That would keep the cooking surface free from contaminants and make the fondue last for a prolonged amount of time.
3. What should I use to hinder the table from getting damaged from the heat of the fondue?
It would be better to use a trivet on top of the table to protect the table from getting damaged. Without something such as that, the upper surface of the table can end up with heat marks or severe damages.
4. Which candle should I use to keep the fondue pot warm?
We would recommend starting with a tea-light candle. If the heat is not enough to keep the food warm, opt for a thick candle. Those will be capable of providing a semi-intense level of flame.
5. Are ceramic fondues worth it?
Ceramic material heats up slowly. However, it does hold the ability to retain the heat for a prolonged amount of time. Furthermore, most of these types of fondues will be dishwasher-safe. Considering all of that, we would say that they are very much worth it.
Having a fondue pot will allow you to spice up dinners and lunch sessions that you will have with your friends and family. However, if you do not know how to use a fondue pot, you will not be capable of getting the most out of it.
But as you can see, learning how to use it is pretty easy. And if you follow the steps correctly, we can guarantee that you will not face any issues while using it.
Up Next: What size should a soup ladle be?