Can we just press pause for a moment and reflect on the fact that it is October 30th today. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Where did October go? Not to mention September and August. Am I allowed to swear on here? Shit, shit, shit. I have this really cruddy sense of dread over the impending winterdom. Kiwi says I have to stop being so depressive about it all, but really it seems like just yesterday that I was shovelling snow and desperately looking forward to summer, and bam! summer is done, fall is half done too, and there are Christmas decorations at Target. Boo. Hoo. Hoo.
Also, what the darn did cold-clime-dwelling folks do before the Internet? As in: the only upside to crap-tastic Canadian winters is that I officially have an excuse to curl up under my duvet and read BuzzFeed. See Kiwi, here I am trying to look on the bright side of a bad situation.
To usher in Intensive-Internet-Reading season, I am reinstating my monthly web link column.
Here’s what caught my attention this month:
- Maybe you’ve seen this already but a woman by the name of Virginia Heffernan wrote an article in the New York Times Magazine about how she hates making dinner for her kids. Which would be fine if she didn’t also accuse those of us who DO like cooking dinner of being women-haters. And here I thought I was just roasting vegetables. I wrote a (slightly bitchy) response to the article, but then I was too much of a chicken to publish it here.
- Stock your freezer with these 10 foods to make quick meals.
- My food-blogging-Canadian-lawyer-McGill-grad-mom-of-two TWIN, Kelly of Inspired Edibles made Autumn-Kissed Oatmeal Carrot Muffins and they look AH-mazing.
- Fat-free sour cream is officially OUT.
- European authorities recalled a frat-boy-favourite whiskey because it contains too much anti-freeze. Also there is a web magazine called “Total Frat Move”. Wow. Just wow.
- Toronto has a new lending library for kitchen appliances. Complete with late fees.
- And because NO list of weblinks would be complete without it — awesome mom humour and more awesome mom humour.
Please check in again next week as I’ve got some fuuuuun stuff on deck for you, including a review and giveaway of a great new cookbook for busy parents.
And if you are bummed there is no recipe for this week (sorry folks!), check out some of these oldie but goodie cool weather weekend favourites right here:
Sausage and Kale Spaghetti for Saturday date night in:
Whole Grain Banana Oatmeal Waffles for a comforting and kid-friendly Sunday brunch:
Big Batch Pulled Chicken Chili to slow cook on Sunday afternoon and toss into the freezer for the cold days ahead: